Cefn Tilla Court is a Grade II* listed building dating back to the 19th century. It is set within acres of rolling fields, exquisite gardens and rustic woodland making it the perfect setting for a wedding. Although the estate is now used as an exclusive wedding venue, clay pigeon shooting day venue, and holiday letting and glamping setting, Cefn Tilla Court is bursting with history and no doubt has hundreds of stories to tell.
In 1856, Cefn Tilla Court was rescued by the Raglan Memorial Committee. They were looking to purchase a house in the local area in memory of the very first Lord Raglan who had recently died whilst in command of the British Army in the Crimea. Cefn Tilla Court was deemed a suitable house, however it was enlarged under the direction of Sir Matthew Digby Wyatt. Wyatt has previously worked with Pugin and Brunel, and had been Secretary for the Committee for the Great Exhibition of 1851.
The creation of the nearby Pontypool-Monmouth railway coincided with the restoration of Cefn Tilla Court and it is thought that the workmen were also brought in to create the drive for the estate.
Matthew Digby Wyatt installed a 1514 dated carved oak frieze from Usk Priory, in the hall of Cefn Tilla Court. Alongside sacred emblems on the frieze are the crests of many families in the area including Somerset family’s Portcullis Crest, the Arms or Crests, the Clare family, the Lucy family. and the Percy family, King Henry VIII and the House of Aragon. In 1937 the frieze was restored to its former glory and amazingly the original colouring was found to be intact under a coat of varnish.
Keep an eye out for the next instalment of Cefn Tilla Court’s history lessons to learn more about the history of Cefn Tilla Court and the stories it has to tell.